Tuesday 4 September 2012

Facebook Fan Page tips by an expert

Hey guys, I want to share with you how I accidentally learned the 2 most important rules in growing a Facebook fan-page organically I spend most of the year in Costa Rica helping run Shaka a Surf & Yoga retreat and in my spare time I work on my internet marketing. One of the greatest parts about being involved with a popular vacation destination like Shaka, is I get a chance to meet a lot of interesting people. On average Shaka guests stay for 7 days to relax, learn to surf and do yoga. So as you can imagine being the surf instruction I get a chance to really get to know the guests. What’s really interesting about the majority of our guests is that they are usually business professionals or small/medium business owners that have never ever surfed before. I neverwould have guessed it but most of the guests work in industries like technology & finance. They work all year then for their 1 or 2 week annual vacation they want to do something adventurous and unique like learn to surf. One of the first things I always do is make a point to find out what they do for work. I find it is a great ice breaker, and it lets me know a lot about them. This has become my main source of networking and generating leads for all sorts of things. Theyare basically all mine for a wholeweek. Ask for Facebook Likes The guests spend most of their free time hanging around in therancho chatting with other guests or on their mobiles or notebook computers taking advantage of the wireless internet. After a day or two when I see them online I will tellthem to check-out our Shaka Facebook fan page and like it. And of-course they always do since it is on the spot & convenient. OK, so let me get to the point about how I learned 2 very important tips on utilizing your Facebook fan-page that almost nobody does. So, last month we had a female guest from New York arrive for a 7 day surf & yoga retreat. It turned out she worked for one of the preferred Facebook developers as a social media consultant. Her job was to meet with PR & social media departments of big companies and teach them how to maximize their social media efforts, primarily through Facebook. JACKPOT! As you can imagine the internet marketer in me waswanting to jump out and ask a million questions. Her company charges big bucks for her to go to companies and do one day presentations, and now I had her for a whole week, MUAHAHA! I still don’t know how I did it, but I convinced her to take a look at the Shaka Facebook fan-page and give it a 30 minutereview, that I recorded using screen-capture with Camtasia. The great thing about this screen-capture we made, is I can go back and review it anytime, and everything she talks about can be applied to any Facebook fan-page. I will upload the screen-capture to Youtube and imbed it at the end of this post so you can watch it as well if you want. I recommend it, it is packed full ofuseful Facebook fan-page tips. The Facebook Fan Page big Two rules Although she gave me a lot of insight in many areas, it really boiled down to 2 simple things as far as consistently and organically growing your FB fan page. Those 2 things are: Always answer or reply when someone comments. Don’t leave fans hanging. If someone goes out of their way to leave a comment reward them with a reply. As much as possible ask questions or end a post with a question, in other words you have to invite people into the conversation. Now as easy and simple as that sounds, most Fan-pages do not consistently do those 2 things, which includes many multimillion dollar companies. It is pretty cool to know that the do-it-yourself start-up can have a better more active Fan-page than many big brands. I have personally started implementing these 2 methods on the Shaka Fanpage and have witnessed an increase in likes, comments and over all activity. And according to my Google analytics the Facebook fan page is Shaka’s #1 source of referral traffic. Here is the Camtasia screen capture video we made. It it is 30 minutes long and a basic recording, but the audio is very good and the advice is worth itswait in gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment